Pages

Purdue

Purdue

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Now What?

Now that my Honduras adventure is over, my life is going to sound significantly more boring.

It's not that I haven't done anything and I just sit around all day (believe me, I wish I could!).  But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to dat travel lyfeee.  I mean, I went to my cousin Cody's wedding and got to see all my cousins whom I haven't seen in years (boy, did I miss them!).  I went to Peoria with my family to see Daniel Tosh's stand up show (yes, that is the Kaisershot family's form of quality entertainment).  I even went up to Chicago with Chloe, Katie, and Natalie to see a Cubs game and eat way too much.  But none of that compares in the slightest to my time in Central America.

So what is my life now? 

It now consists of babysitting every day from 8:00 to 5:15.  Coming home to say hello to my family for 2 seconds before they leave for Kourtney's softball game or I leave to do crazy shenanigans with the people I call my friends.  Coming home late way too late and waking up way too early.  Working at Mrs. Fields on the weekends.  Trying to squeeze in time to complete my Honduras assignments and read my common reading book for BGR and taking quizzes about it.  Trying to find time just to breathe.

But in those spare moments I have to myself (driving to work, showering, those rare moments when the kids are still asleep when I get to their house), I've been doing a lot of dreaming.  (No, I'm not sleeping when I'm driving to work. Daydreaming, guys.  Come on.)

I am not dissatisfied with my life in the slightest.  Far from it, actually.  I have no regrets, I don't feel like I've missed out on anything huge, and I'm not disappointed with what I've done and where I've been.  But, as is the American way, I want more.  I had a minor freak-out last night when I realized that there are so many things that I want to do that you just can't do when you're in your 30s and are tied down to a job and a family.  And though my meager teacher salary may not feel so hot when it's getting stretched from all the things I want to do, I want these experiences.  (In case you couldn't tell from my freshman year escapades, I'm all about doing things just for the experience and for the story.  Just ask me about my Things I Would Never Expect Myself To Do But I Still Want To Do Them list.)  Plus, if I don't start thinking about it now, it might never happen, and then I actually will have something to regret.  So, since they have been swimming around my brain recently, I might as well spill these dreams and desires on my blog because, if you hadn't noticed, it's like my freaking diary.

A List of Things Kasey Kaisershot Wants To Do Within The Next 10 Years, aka Before She's 30 And Too Old To Do Them
or
A List of Things That Must Be Accomplished So Kasey Kaisershot Doesn't Have A Midlife Crisis
or
A List Of Things Kasey Kaisershot Wants To Do That May Or May Not Be Realistic

1. Graduate college-that's step one.  It's imperative that this happens first because school has always come first in my life, and I can't distract myself with other things before I have that diploma, yo.

2. Own a jeep-yeah, I said it.  I want a jeep whose windows and doors come off so I can blast my music really loud on a nice summer day and go driving with my hair blowing in the wind.  Ahh, I can see it now...

3. Become fluent in Spanish-I mean really fluent.  Like I can actually hold a conversation without stuttering and pulling out Google Translate every other word.

4. Be a waitress-some may say it's lame, but it's something I've just really wanted to do!  I like people (most of the time), and I like food, and I like money, so why not combine them all together?  No, I do not want it as a career (there's no way I'm blowing thousands at Purdue to be a waitress for the rest of my life), but I want to try my hand at it.

5. Live in New York for a year or two-I fell in love with the city when I visited it with my family 2 summers ago.  There is so much going on and it's so fast-paced and it just really piqued my interest.  I want to figure out where the best hole-in-the-wall places to eat are, I want to hang out in Central Park, I want to become a pro at riding the subway, I want to scoff at the tourists wearing "I Love New York" t-shirts, I want Broadway musicals to be my entertainment instead of just movies, and I want to dance at the night clubs. 

6. Teach abroad-more specifically, at Alison Bixby Stone School in Zamorano, Honduras, because I just fell in love with it there.  Also, interning at Jovenes En Camino, the boys' orphanage there, while I'm teaching down there.

7. Travel-sounds simple enough, but I just want to go everywhere. I want to see the touristy places, but mostly I just want to experience different cultures and meet tons of interesting people and take lots of pictures.  And, call me crazy, but I really want to stay in a hostel.  My mom says that when I'm teaching, I should use the summers as my time to travel since I have them off.  I knew teaching would work out for me ;)

And when all that is over, I actually do want to get married and have kids.  And probably get my masters degree.  And other things along those lines that mean you're an adult.

That's about it at the moment.  Obviously it's not all going to work out how I plan.  That's up to God (although most of the time I'd prefer calling the shots), so I guess we'll see what He has planned for me.

Until next time :)

Photos:

At a grad party

Reunited with my cousins!

Go Cubs Go

Chicago, yo.



No comments:

Post a Comment