Pages

Purdue

Purdue

Thursday, June 14, 2012

My First Goodbye.

Nobody said it would be easy, but I never wanted it to be this hard.

One of my close friends left for college today.  It's only June, and I already had to say goodbye.  I keep telling myself that I have two more months before I have to deal with the difficult stuff: the goodbyes, the tears, the sense of loneliness that will inevitably sink in when I'm thrust into a crowd of unfamiliar faces upon arrival at Purdue.  But I had to face it a little too soon.  I'm not ready to say goodbye.


My friends and I had a surprise going away sleepover for her the other night, so it was nice to have a last "hurrah" as a group.  We were a little too silly, ate a little too much, and stayed up a little too late.  But it was a fun goodbye nevertheless.  Today was the more intimate one.  As I sat on her bed and watched her pack some last minute items into an already crammed suitcase, I realized that this was it.  Since she is going to Brigham Young in Utah, I won't be seeing her until winter break.  As in December.


She had been bracing us for this day for months, continually counting down the days when she would begin this new stage in her life.  But in the back of my mind, it wasn't real.  This day just did not exist in my warped sense of time.  And suddenly, it was here.  It was like running from something and watching it over your shoulder, until all of a sudden you smack into a brick wall.  Okay, so maybe it's not that dramatic.  But it might as well be.


So I said goodbye in a whirlwind of tears and hugs, and now she's in Utah, seemingly a world away.  I'm so excited for her, but I'm going to miss her like crazy.


Perhaps it was good to have a goodbye come about so early.  Maybe I'll be better prepared for when I have to say my farewell to the rest of my friends.  But I got to thinking: I am so incredibly lucky that my best friend is going to Purdue with me as well.  I realized there was no way in heck I'd be able to say goodbye to her.  It would be excruciating.


Well, one down and too many more to go.  Let's hope I don't fall apart at the seems before I even get to school!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment